Just me, my guy, our cats, & the other 18 million people in the LA area...

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July at the beach

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

The 4th was always an important holiday for my family. For years we lived across the street from the golf course where the town shot off fireworks. My memories are of family & friends coming over for the evening, making red-white-blue JELL-O cake, cheering for my favorite fireworks (the crackles, the wheeping willows, the HUGE booms), & teering up while listening to "Proud to be an American." Because the holiday goes hand in hand with all of my family getting together, I was afraid of a huge wave of home sickness this weekend. While I did miss you all terribly, I also discovered how much fun it is to spend the day at the beach!

We went to Huntington Beach for the day. Let me tell you, that place goes all out for the holiday! Everyone on bicycles decorated in red white & blue streamers, an outdoor party at every house, closing down Main Street for pedestrians, vendors, etc. We got to HB around 2 & parking wasn't great but we found a spot & the beach was a lot less crowded than I had expected! Sam & I visited the vendors & she did a bit of shopping. We waded in the water while the boys went further out & fought the waves. Deb collected shells & watched all the people walking by or playing with their families. It was a beautiful sunny day with plenty of fun & sunscreen! Here are some pictures of where we spent our day:

There are few things that mesmerize me more than fireworks. We were super close to the pier where they shot off the fireworks. The wind blew the smoke so it kind of obstructed our view...but it was an amazing show nonetheless.

Not the best picture...but it was amazing in person! Come out next year & see for yourself.

*oops...I forgot I wrote this post weeks ago. I just found it & figured I had better post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment