Just me, my guy, our cats, & the other 18 million people in the LA area...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Denyse Schmidt & LAMQG

WARNING: This is a quilting post.

In the weeks leading up to our move, Jacob & I frequently talked about all the things we looked forward to in California: fresh avocados, no freezing winters, panaderias, the beach, fresh avocados, etc. One of the things I was really excited about was the active modern quilting community out here. Living in Manhattan, the closest modern quilt guild was in Kansas City. Where we are now, I have the luxury of choosing between two guilds!

Last night I attended my first guild event: Denyse Schmidt gave a talk for the LAMQG about quilt design, fabric design, stationary design, & writing books. Denyse is credited with starting the modern quilting movement & I was so excited for this opportunity!

Here are a few of my favorite quilts that Denyse highlighted at last night's event:

Photos courtesy of dsquilts.com

I stayed a little longer after the talk ended so I could be one of those people who asked for an autograph.

Because of our move I haven't done any sewing in WAY too long. I think I had some separation anxiety being apart from my fabric for so long. After last night I'm feeling super inspired & motivated to get back to my rotary cutter, rulers, & machine. Hopefully I quickly make some progress on my WIPs (works in progress) & start some new ones.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, those quilts are all amazing! I would have waited for an autograph, too :) I love her work, it must have been amazing to meet her!

    ReplyDelete