Just me, my guy, our cats, & the other 18 million people in the LA area...

Monday, May 14, 2012

I Run

I run now. I, Katie Morris, run. I am a runner.

Who would have ever guessed that I would say that? Did you hear that, Coach Dave? You can tell me to run around Wilson Park all you want, & for once I won't start walking when you turn your back!

It all started with our signing up for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run. The race is a grueling 10k course with mud pits, tire obstacles, walls to climb over, & even some swimming. Did I mention it's uphill both ways? Sounds like fun, right? Yeah, that's what we thought! Oh, wait, did you say no? Well we may be changing our minds.

To prepare for the Mud Run (& keep myself from looking like a fool or dying) I started running in January. It went well for several weeks. I was dutifully following my program. After a workout, I felt energized & excited. But then I hit a wall. I couldn't quite get past the 5 minute mark. But lucky for me, I have a wonderful friend who popped in at the right time & invited me to join a 10k with her & her coworkers.

The 10k was for SheRunsLA. And was 80's themed! I don't know what it is with Tiffany...but it seems like I am always having to tease my hair for that girl. Everyone was in costume. I don't know how some girls ran in their leather skirts, spandex pants, bangles, etc. This was my first race & it blew me away how upbeat & encouraging everyone was.


It was a beautiful day for a race. We finished in under one hour fifteen minutes. We walked for less than half a mile & only after running the first four! Not bad!


Jacob & Jake were there at the end to cheer us on. We're lucky to have such great guys. Jacob even sported a bit of neon to fit in with the crowd.


The race ended on the Paramount Studios back lot.


So now I've gotten Jacob to start running with me after work. He needs to get in shape for the mud run, too! And this is where we run. How's that for a view?

No comments:

Post a Comment